Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Fraud Info

Thanks to those of you who came and participated in our discussion group last night. We had a very informative time! Susan prepared a handout that we found very helpful, the info is below. She's quite the expert in this area, so shoot her any questions you might have.


What is ID theft?
Is CC theft the same thing?

How do they do it?
1. Mail theft (Phoenix is #1 in the US)
A. Intercepting incoming credit cards, bills, statements, etc.
B. Grabbing out-going mail (check washing)
• Use real mail boxes for outgoing mail
• Keep track of your bills – if you don’t receive something, call & watch
• Balance your checkbook regularly

2. Dumpster diving
• Shred everything w/ your name & address (magazine labels, etc.)

3. Internet
A. Data breaches
B. Phishing
C. Pharming
• Give your CC companies your information so they can contact you if there’s a problem & respond if you hear from them
• Be smart about the information you provide on-line, even when purchasing
• Be skeptical
• If in question, call the number on the back of your card
• I don’t use my debit card much – would rather have my CC used than my own money from my bank acct

4. Skimming
• Watch the person handling your card
• Watch your statements carefully
• Be skeptical
• I don’t use my debit card much – would rather have my CC used than my own money from my bank acct

5. Lost or Stolen
• Guard your SS# -- don’t keep your card in your wallet & when someone asks for it, challenge
• Have your CC info somewhere besides your purse/wallet – copy front & back somewhere safe

1 comment:

Sandi said...

A note on shredding magazine labels. If it is a catalog, be sure to check inside for a pre-filled out order form. Shred that too.